The Sacrament of Baptism
Baptism is the Sacrament which cleanses us from original sin, makes us Christians, children of God and heirs of heaven.
Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:5)
Parents should schedule their child’s Baptism either before, or soon after, the child’s birth. The child does not have to be born yet to prepare for the Baptism. Baptisms are generally celebrated at St. Paul’s on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month, at 1:15 pm in the Church. Instruction classes for parents [and Godparents] are on the last Thursday of the month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Please, prior to the class, call the Parish Office (845)268-4464, for location and to confirm further details. We do require a minimum of two-weeks notice prior to the preferred date of Baptism. **Also, before the ceremony receives finalized schedule status, a Birth Certificate must be presented to the Parish Office to verify all details.**
A Godparent/Sponsor assumes a very serious obligation. At a Baptism a Godparent responds for the infant renouncing Satan, his works and empty promises. The Sponsor expresses faith in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the child’s name. A Sponsor does the same with his/her Godchild at Confirmation. Other duties of a Godparent/Sponsor are to pray for his/her Godchild, to be an example of integrity and sincerity in practicing the Catholic Faith, and – if the child’s parents are unable – to see to it that the child is educated according to the teaching of the Catholic Church. In order to fulfill such duties, the Church maintains certain conditions are a prerequisite for a Godparent/Sponsor.
- One must be a Catholic.
- One must have received all the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation.
- One must be 14 years of age or older.
- One must practice the Catholic faith by:
- believing all the Church teaches on matters of faith and morals,
- participating in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation (unless hindered because of some illness),
- fulfilling one’s Easter Duty,
- being a single person not giving scandal by one’s way of life; or a person married with the blessing of the Catholic Church.
Sponsor certificates are ONLY issued by a Parish Priest or Deacon; during office hours Monday to Friday, to parishioners who have been registered at St. Paul for at least three months. Please contact the Parish Office.