The Sacrament of Confirmation
Confirmation is the sacrament through which the Holy Spirit comes to us in a special way and enables us to profess our faith as strong and perfect Christians and soldiers of Jesus Christ.
But I speak the truth to you; it is expedient for you that I depart. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. (John 16:7)
Students at St. Paul’s School are given a thorough preparation for Confirmation. Parish children who do not attend St. Paul’s School are provided with Religious Education classes.
To register with our Regional School, please, call: (845) 268-6506.
To register with our Religious Education Program (P.R.E.P.), please, call: (845) 268-5442.
A Sponsor assumes a very serious obligation. At a Baptism a Godparent responds for the infant renouncing Satan, his works and empty promises; they expresses faith in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the child’s name. A Sponsor does the same with his/her candidate at Confirmation. Other duties of a Sponsor are to pray for his/her candidate, to be an example of integrity and sincerity in practicing the Catholic Faith, and (if the child’s parents are unable) to see to it that the child is educated according to the teaching of the Catholic Church. In order to fulfill such duties, the Church maintains certain conditions are a prerequisite for a Godparent/Sponsor.
- One must be a Catholic.
- One must have received all the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation.
- One must be 14 years of age or older.
- One must practice the Catholic faith by:
- believing all the Church teaches on matters of faith and morals,
- participating in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation (unless hindered because of some illness),
- fulfilling one’s Easter Duty,
- being a single person not giving scandal by one’s way of life; or a person married with the blessing of the Catholic Church.
Sponsor certificates are ONLY issued by a Parish Priest or Deacon; during office hours Monday to Friday, to parishioners who have been registered at St. Paul for at least three months. Please contact the Parish Office (845-268-4464).